Monday, June 7, 2010

A Boy and His Bike

These days it seems like everyone is trying to "go green" in some aspect of their life. From organic food, to recycling there are a variety of ways in which one can achieve this. However, one of the more exciting ways I have found to add more "green" to my life is through bicycling. Although it was not my initial intention to be green when I first purchased my Trek mountain bike, the desire to exercise was. I chose the Trek brand because of its well known name in the cycling world and my desire to have something a bit sturdier than my childhood Huffy. Though it had been many years since I had been on the saddle of a bicycle, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it all came back. With a little time and perseverance, anything is possible.

To date, my bike has been nothing short of exceptional, though I have not consistently taken it off road to fill its true potential. For a mountain bike it has performed remarkably well on the streets where I spend most of my riding time. Together we've journeyed through Peter's Canyon, Weir Canyon, Newport Beach, Balboa Island and our most recent trip to Laguna Beach. On a bike I feel as though I am able to experience so much more of the nature and beautiful scenery that Orange County has to offer. Something I certainly never fully appreciated before my second time owning a bicycle. Throw in the fact that I always ride with a good friend or two and it makes the experience all the more worthwhile. I know that I won't always have the freedom to take a bike ride on a Monday during the day, but there's something rather fantastic about it and I intend to enjoy every opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh the Huffy! I remember the days of rocking the Huffy, too! I enjoy taking my bike around, too - makes me feel better about myself..

    ReplyDelete