Sunday, June 13, 2010

Wedding Season

Over the weekend, I attended what I anticipate, as being the first of four weddings this year. A beautifully set wedding in sunny Huntington Beach, at a temperature most conducive to an enjoyable ceremony. While I watched the happy couple move forward to the next stage of their lives, I couldn't help but reflect on my own life and the goals I had once set.

Many years ago, I had envisioned myself being married at twenty-seven and looked forward to the prospect of children. For some reason, twenty-seven seemed like a reasonable age to get married. Not too young and not too old, it appeared to be the perfect time. However as a child, I had no way of understanding the self inflicted barriers I would place upon myself. I spent the early part of my twenties in a long relationship and my friends always believed that I would be the first of our group to be married. Certainly, I would be the last person to refute those claims. But as my relationship began to fall apart, I sought to refocus my life on education. I planned to ensure that when I did find the right person, I would have a future to look forward to.

For the first time in my life, I find myself as the best man at my best friend's wedding. This is an exciting and challenging new role for me and I am honored to have been chosen for the role. It is my hope that this experience is a memorable one and that I too, can be fortunate enough to follow down that same path. And although I'm not the first in our group of friends to tie the knot, I couldn't be happier for my friend.

Last night I watched a movie entitled, The Holiday with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz for probably the fourth or fifth time. Though it's fairly predictable I love the film for two reasons. First, at least half of the movie is set in a small English town (after visiting England, I have a soft spot for the country). Second, there is a great scene in the movie where Cameron Diaz visits Jude Law's home, discovers he's a single dad and meets his two daughters. For anyone who has yet seen, I will say that these are perhaps the cutest little girls ever. Having always wanted at least one daughter, this movie coupled with a strong dose of wedding season, has reignited my passion to find that special someone and build towards taking my own next step.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely said Bri! If only we knew then what we know now, then.....

    <3 "the ex"

    ReplyDelete